As a childbirth educator, I am thrilled that I see so many people putting thoughtful effort into learning about their options for birth and thinking about their birth values. Unfortunately, the same rigor is not often put into postpartum education. Not just how to change a diaper or feed your newborn, but the emotional rollercoaster of postpartum, and the messiness of parenthood.
In this episode of Yoga|Birth|Babies, I speak with Doctor of Clinical Psychology and a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, Dr. Jane Shomof. Jane and I discuss the importance of postpartum planning and as well as recognizing the difference between postpartum anxiety versus postpartum depression, and postpartum OCD. Jane also shares how she sees society’s expectations of new parents can play into the struggle many new parents experience.
In this episode you will learn:
- Learn a bit about Dr. Jane and what lead her to focus on supporting new parents.
- Dr. Jane’s personal postpartum journey and how her background and knowledge played into her experience.
- How Dr. Jane’s approach and the way she supported her clients changed after she had her own postpartum challenges.
- Planning for postpartum. Things that are often overlooked when people think of life after baby.
- All that fall under the umbrella of PMADs.
- The difference between postpartum anxiety versus postpartum depression as well as postpartum, OCD.
- The time frame that PMADs start to show up and what signs that someone or their support network can look for that indicate PMADs.
- How society’s expectations of new parents can play into the struggle many new parents experience.
- How to embrace the messiness of postpartum.
- One final tip/piece of advice Dr. Jane offers new and expectant parents.
- Where you can find Dr. Jane’s work.
About Dr. Shomof:
My name is Dr Jane Shomof. I’m a mom of 3. I’m a Doctor of Clinical Psychology and a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. I’m a certified Perinatal Mental Health Specialist and I also specialize in Substance Abuse and Addiction treatment. I’m an entrepreneur, truly believing the sky is the limit! I have a private practice as well as a business specializing in Maternal Mental Health. We’re currently getting ready to launch a first of its kind Virtual Treatment Center specifically working with women either in Pregnancy or Postpartum, which is super exciting! When I’m not working, I’m busy spending time with my family and creating memories with them!
Connect with Dr. Shomof:
- Instagram: @momsinbloome
Support Our Sponsors:
- Somfy: Learn more about Somfy powered motorized window coverings, or connect with a Somfy dealer in your area to get a customized quote for your home by visiting somfysystems.com/podcast
- Boober: Looking for a lactation support, birth doulas, mental health therapists, and postpartum doulas. Use the code PYC to get 10% off your first service at www.getboober.com
If you love what you’ve been listening to, please leave a rating and review! Yoga| Birth|Babies
To connect with Deb and the PYC Community:
Instagram & Facebook: @prenatalyogacenter
Youtube: Prenatal Yoga Center