Attention parents! By now you are probably familiar with all of the benefits of using essential oils, from calming your mind to helping you fall asleep. But did you know essential oils are also incredibly beneficial for your children as well?
Whether you’re an avid essential oil user or brand new to oils and have no idea where to start, check out this guide on your must-have essential oils for happy, healthy children.
A Beginner’s Guide to Essential Oils – What You Need to Know to Get Started
An important note on using essential oils. Not all essential oils are safe to use with children. Check with your healthcare provider before using essential oils if your child has any allergies or illness.
Essential oils must be diluted with a carrier oil before being applied topically and dilution instructions can usually be found on the EO bottles. Never allow your child to ingest essential oils.
3 Must-Have Essential Oils for Kids:
Please be sure you’ve read the important note above before diving into the wonderful world of essential oils for kids. Now, you’re ready to dive in!
Also note that since all of these essential oils can be diffused, you may want to consider investing in an essential oil diffuser if you don’t already have one at home. There are affordable options online and in-stores.
My all-time favorite essential oil for my child AND myself is lavender. I love it because of its versatility, it’s low cost and because it is super safe to use around children.
Lavender is known for its calming and soothing properties. What can lavender do for you, you may ask? To which I reply, what CAN’T it do??
- Diffuse in your children’s bedroom for 20 minutes at night to help them fall asleep
- Dilute with lotion or carrier oil and apply to dry, irritated or sunburned skin
- Diffuse or apply topically to help soothe a child’s worried, anxious mind
- Apply to a cotton ball and leave in your car as an all-natural air freshener that will help keep the car smelling nice while calming the kids, making for a more relaxed drive
If Your Child Has Anxiety, Try These 5 Soothing Affirmations for Kids
2. Tea Tree
Tea tree essential oil is another go-to of mine because of it’s many important uses. Bonus – this one is also inexpensive! Tea Tree is a known anti-bacterial, making it a safe, chemical free alternative to many over the counter products.
- Dilute and spray on your child’s hat, coat and hair before school to help prevent them from picking up lice
- Add to your homemade bug spray (along with geranium, lavender & citronella) to help keep away mosquitos and pesky gnats
- Dilute in a carrier oil and apply topically to help with dry or itchy skin or eczema
- Add a few drops to your children’s shoes to help get rid of the stink and keep them smelling fresh
- Dilute to treat your child’s acne, nail fungus or insect bites
- Add to your own homemade hand sanitizer (along with a carrier oil and vitamin E to soothe skin) to kill germs and keep your kids healthy this school year
While rose is one of the more expensive essential oils, it’s also another favorite of mine because of its beautiful scent and wonderful benefits for children.
Because of its powerful aroma, a little bit goes a long way! Rose can be both a calming and uplifting oil and is known for its sweet, powerful aroma.
- When inhaled, studies show rose oil can help children ease physical pain
- Diffuse during the day to help lift your child’s spirits and put them in a good mood
- Diffuse or apply topically to decrease your anxious child’s stress and anxiety
- Diffuse or apply topically to help your child relax at bedtime and have a good night’s sleep
Mindful Tools to Help Your Child Cope in This Overstimulated World
Essential Oils for Happy, Healthy Children
The benefits of essential oils for children are endless.
Still not convinced essential oils are for you? Pick an oil and give it a try at home with your kids.
What are your favorite ways to use essential oils at home with your children? Tell us in the comments below!
All included information is not intended to treat or diagnose. The views expressed are those of the author and should be attributed solely to the author. For medical questions, please consult your healthcare provider.
The post 3 Must-Have Essential Oils for Kids appeared first on YogiApproved™.